Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Golf ‘buddies’ drive on despite missing link


By JON GARRETT
PMG&RC 
General Manager
Friendships and golf go hand-in-hand. For Madisonville resident Don Preston, the local 9-hole tract at Providence Municipal Golf and Recreation Center (formerly Providence Golf & Country Club) has been the site of many memories shared with his lifelong friend Casey Traylor.

The two played countless rounds. Shared many a joke and even the occasional argument, only to be followed by a laugh a few holes later. A friendship that was built stronger on the links ended this past January when Traylor passed away.
Roughly 50 years of weekly if not daily rounds of golf were shared between the two. Others have joined the pair from time to time. Bill Mariman and Jackie Watson in the early days. Most recently Herman Hawkins of Dixon has become a fixture in the pairing. Clarence (Junior) Martin also tags along on occasion. But it was Preston and Traylor who, like clockwork, showed up day after day for as much golf as they could endure.
“We were nothing alike,” said Preston. “I guess that’s why we got along. I miss him everyday.”
The last couple of golf seasons, Traylor was more of a spectator than player. But he showed up, cooler in hand with a snack and couple of cool drinks. He wasn’t ready to give up on the game even when his body wouldn’t allow him to play any longer.
“He wanted to play toward the end,” said Preston. “He just couldn’t hold up, especially in the heat. But he kept coming and he kept us laughing all the way around.”
Preston, who turned 80 earlier this year, says he has no plans of quitting anytime soon.
“As long as I’m able, I want to keep playing,” he said. “When you just sit around you tend to get old. I’m going to keep moving and golf allows me to do that.”
And he does it well. Already this year he has shot a 74 and several 79s for 18 holes. He fired a smooth little 4-under par 68 just five years ago, and recorded a hole in one on two occasions in the last three years.
“My game stinks,” he said with a laugh. “My short game is terrible. I can’t chip. I can’t putt.”
Like most golfers, Preston tends to be a little hard on himself.
“Don’t let him kid you, he can still play,” said Hawkins. “He hits that little draw that just runs and runs.”
High praise coming from Hawkins, considering he has shot or broken his age since he was 66, some nine years ago.
Like Preston, Hawkins has also recorded two hole in ones over the years. Not bad for the retired banker who didn’t pick up the game until his early 40s.
“I like to compete,” Hawkins explained. “At my age basketball, baseball, and other sports aren’t really an option. Golf is something I can play and still compete at. It keeps me moving.”
Hawkins joked golf also allows him to cut his work day in half now.
“The key to golf is to be realistic,” he explained. “Just because you once could hit a 5-iron 180 yards doesn’t mean you can anymore. Check your ego and use the appropriate club.”
Both Hawkins and Preston say they start looking forward to the next golf season as soon as cold weather hits and the current golf season comes to an end.
“I didn’t know if this winter was ever going to end,” said Hawkins. “But when it did, I was ready.”
So was Preston…even without his old friend Casey on the cart next to him.
“He’s still with me,” Preston said. “He will always be with me.”